
So some history of our gardens. When we moved into our house in 1985 (wow, can it really have been that long ago?), we had some really overgrown bushes in front, a foot wide garden along the house and another one about the same width by the garage. We had some lilies of the valley that filled in one small corner, and some huge lilacs. Nothing but weeds in the two flower beds, and plenty of them everywhere else, too! Oh, and an ancient rhubarb plant and a fabulous old rose. It's been a long haul.

As best I recall, we started with some marigolds on the south side of the garage. Boy, did they get huge! I could probably have won the state fair with them, had there been any way to enter them. I can't remember what we did along side the house - I think we tried different things. I do know we had to chop the bridal wreath almost to the ground out front, as it had grown over our porch windows! We've done that 3 times now, I think, and it keeps coming back.
I remember adding a few more rose bushes here and there, although they all died, but I don't think we did much more until we replaced our garage about 10 years ago. We decided at that time to add a new garden and let my (hopefully) nascent green thumb get to it.
I spent days poring over books and websites trying to figure out perennial plants that would 1) grow here, 2) bloom for more than a few days a year and 3) that we liked! I came up with a plan - and that turned out to be the easy part. But that's another post.
No comments:
Post a Comment