Friday, October 21, 2011

Tomatoes...

Remember back earlier this summer when I wrote that the roofer suggested we replant our cherry tomato? I dread to think what would have happened had we added another plant. The thing is just huge now, and it's still blooming! I've given tomatoes away by the (small) bag full, and we still had more than we could eat. Fortunately, a friend came to the rescue with a recipe for oven roasted tomatoes you can then freeze. In the last 10 days, I've picked and roasted 400! It's amazing how small they get... Looking forward to adding them to all kinds of things this fall and winter. It's also been (for us, anyway) a good year for peppers - because we got some. We've tried bell peppers before, and somehow they either never ripen - we don't care for green ones - or some bug gets to them before they're ready. We've gotten several this year, and, even this late in the season, have more turning red!

We went to a garden show in Hastings this year, and saw homemade self watering containers. We plan to make some over the winter. They should have the advantage of getting the soil warmer faster, which in turn should help us get peppers sooner. I hope so - we do love our sweet peppers!

No killing frost yet, but it can't be much longer. We had our 3rd or 4th last night, but so far the plants have escaped. I worked hard in September to save stuff, but now it's getting so late I'm only covering tomatoes and peppers. After all, the garden clean up has to happen at some point in time!

Two weeks ago I repotted nearly all my houseplants. I started out with 4 African violets and now have 7. If they all survive (we'll know soon - so far they look fine), does anyone want any? I'll give away 3.

No comments:

Post a Comment