Monday, May 31, 2010

Nearly carefree roses - yeah, right

I think the people who told us that the "nearly wild" shrub roses we put on our front wall were nearly carefree just wanted to get rid of the darned things. I can't deny they look great, but, they are anything but carefree. They are easy in the sense of not needing lots of pruning and they bloom for months, but they are so prone to insect and fungal infestations! They started out with black spot. I was told it was because the summer was unusually wet, and the bushes were just too damp. They got it again the following year - but this time they said it was too dry! This has now gone on for years. Then two years ago, most of the leaves shriveled up and fell off - same last year! Our local nursery (not the one that sold us the plants) didn't know what it was, but another customer did - sawfly larvae. He told me I needed a systemic insecticide. It wouldn't help much that year, as the larvae had already done their damage, but I should use it going forward. He also told me the plants would survive, and they did.

Forward to 2010. I put the insecticide on as directed sometime in April. I started using the spray anti-fungal several weeks ago, and have continued to use it as scheduled. I don't use chemicals on anything else in my garden, and don't like using it on the roses, but thought I'd try one more time. Well, guess what? Today I went out to spray yet again, and what do I see? Shriveled, browning leaves. And wouldn't you know it, up 'til now they've looked terrific? Just what the heck more am I supposed to do???

Well, I think I have the answer. Pull the darn things out and start over with a hardier rose - the Sven, Ole or Lena ones developed specifically for Minnesota. I am coming to the conclusion that I have had enough of this!

No comments:

Post a Comment